TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I'm assuming you've never read that in your life.
People Seeking Info

Subject I'm assuming you've never read that in your life.

Posted by TriniTT on April 06, 2009 at 7:49 PM
  This message has been viewed 192 times.

In Reply To You're wrong. posted by ZXRider(SoCal) on April 05, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Message Either that, or reading comprehension owns you. It basically says none of our Z cars were ever dubbed a Fairlady in the US. By my understanding, that makes you wrong.

Mr. Yutaka Kayatama, then President of Nissan Motors USA, knew that his customers would not accept the name "Fairlady" for a Sports Car here in the USA, so the Sales and Marketing departments in the US had used the cars model numbers for the most part, in advertising and sales promotion, and with the introduction of the new models for 1965 the badging on the front fenders was changed, on the US cars, from "Fairlady" to "Datsun 1600".

When the new HLS30 Sports/GT was designed and built for the US Market - Mr. Katayama suggested that it not be badged as the "Fairlady' in the US. Mr. K. thought that the car should be named something more aggressive, like "Tiger" or "Shark" in keeping with US cultural traditions and values. That idea having been turned down in Japan, he was willing to accept "Datsun 240-Z". The 240 was a shortened version of the 2400cc engine displacement, and the "Z", which had been the new car's product file designation within Nissan's Design Department.

Cheers,
JBrobst,

The woman with blue nuts.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.